CARRAGHER SUSPENDED BY SKY SPORTS FOLLOWING SPITTING SCANDAL.

Posted on Posted in England

Sky Sports bosses have suspended Jamie Carragher after calling him to their London HQ to explain his actions on Monday morning and for talks over the incident and his future.
According to Mirror sport, the ex-England defender has been pulled from the programme ahead of Stoke vs Manchester City but it’s understood has not been sacked from working as a pundit for the company.

Carragher told Sky News: “I haven’t offered my resignation. I’m just talking to people at Sky and going forward they’ve made it be known that they’re very disappointed.
“I’ve brought shame on Sky.

“What I would say is there is no doubt what I’ve done is digusting. I apologise for it. If someone in that game had done that, I’d have vilified them for the next few days.

“What I hope, after 25 years in the public eye, is that five seconds of madness will not take over my life. Hopefully going forward I can show the real me – I don’t think that’s a real representation of me. I’ve made mistakes, but this is a huge one.
“It remains to be seen [what happens now]. It’s obviously Sky’s decision.”
When quizzed whether he thinks he should be sacked, Carragher said: “That’s down to the powers above.
“Hopefully I can show people over the next days and weeks the real me. Hopefully a moment of madness won’t cloud people’s judgment of me, my character, my career.”

Liverpool legend Carragher was filmed spitting at a football fan and his 14-year-old daughter after having taunts fired in his direction as he drove away from Old Trafford on Saturday following Manchester United’s 2-1 win against his former side.

A Sky Sports statement said: “Sky takes this matter extremely seriously and strongly condemns Jamie’s actions, we have made that clear to him in person today and suspended him from his duties. It falls well below the standards we expect of our people.”

He will spend two weeks off screen as part of a break that was already booked prior to the incident coming to light.

Carragher insists his behaviour was out of character and refused to condone his actions.
“You can’t obviously condone that behaviour no matter what. In any way shape or form, where you are, who you represent.
“I’ve let Sky Sports down, my family and the family involved.
“It was a moment of madness, it’s difficult for me to explain.
“It’s the lowest of the low. I’ve never done it before, I’ll never do it again.
“It’s just that moment of madness for four or five seconds. No matter the circumstances, you can’t ever behave like that.
“I called the family and they were upset.
“The biggest regret, certainly, is for the 14 year old girl to be caught in the middle of this, and my altercation with the father.

“It’s my biggest devastation that a young 14 year old has become embroiled in this.
“I’ve got a daughter the same age…it’s difficult to find the words for the way I’d react.

“It is my biggest regret of course, but all I can do right now is apologise. I can’t go back. Hopefully they accept that. I’d like to apologise once more to them all.”

Danish TV channel TV3 Sport had already dumped Carragher from their coverage of Manchester United’s Champions League clash with Sevilla on Tuesday night.

“It does not look good,” TV3 Sport executive director Peter Nørrelund told Ekstra Bladet.
“He should have been at Old Trafford tomorrow for United-Sevilla, and we have chosen to sit over.
“We have sent an employee to Liverpool so we can get the story from the horse’s mouth.”
The incident, which occurred while he was driving, ended when the 40-year-old wound down his window and spat in the direction of the fans.
Carragher has said he will “apologise again properly” over the incident – and claims that he did not see the girl.
He said today as he arrived in London: “I’ll speak to the family again. I’m sorry. I’ll apologise again today properly.”

Asked if he had seen the girl in the car, he replied: “I didn’t to be honest, she was leant back. I wish she wasn’t involved. I hate that she was involved more than anything.”

In a tweet on Sunday night, Carragher apologised for his behaviour, writing: “Totally out of order & Ive apologised personally to all the family this evening.
“I was goaded 3/4 times along the motorway while being filmed & lost my rag. No excuse apologies.”

Leave a Reply